Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

John's First Post - June 29

Hi, my name is John Kim and I go to Magruder High School. I am working as an intern at the Human Developmental Anatomy Center this summer. During my time here I have learned a little about the history of embryology and its role in medical health. The following is me briefly sharing some of the things I have learned from reading Thomas W. Sadler's 10th edition of Langman's Medical Embryology.

Embryology is the study of the developmental process. Embryogenesis is known as the first 8 weeks of human development, while the fetal period is known as the period after the 8 weeks up until birth. The study of embryological origins, birth defects, and the developmental process in general is essential for creating health care strategies for better reproductive outcomes, and the understanding of diseases in our postnatal health. This is interesting to me because I did not know that embryology played a role in the understanding of postnatal health but rather thought it only played a role in the understanding of prenatal health.

No comments: