Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Letter of the Day: May 19

Curatorial Records: Numbered Correspondence 03890

Dr. F. T. Meriwether,
U.S. Army Retired.
No. 14 Grove Street.

Asheville, N. C. May 19th, 1899

Maj. Walter Reed, U.S.A.
Washington, D.C.

Sir,

I send today in your care specimens of a probable Sarcoma of the Jaw, and what is of more interest a piece of a cancer of the lung. The history in brief of the latter is as follows. Male, age 35. Both father and mother died of Carcinoma of some form. Three months ago he was tapped Aspirated while in Baltimore for supposed Pleutritic effusion. Only a pint obtained. History up that time was an almost perfect one so far as health concerned. Cough developed shortly and he was sent to Asheville for supposed Tuberculosis. The chest when I saw him in consultation was enlarged upon the side affected, the left one; respiration was disturbed, had Hemoptysis and twice coughed up large masses of what seemed to be lung tissue. Temp and pulse record about that of Tuberculosis. The diagnosis was never made with certainty , though I rather incline towards malignancy. Aspiration secured some broken down cheesy looking masses which did not contain T.B. Patient suffered much at the last from Dyspnoea, and died five weeks after arriving here, the total duration being Three months. "Post" showed a lung very much broken down in spots, and the remainder of the tissue I send you. A small spot in the centre of the right lung seemed to be of the same tissue. Knowing the infrequency of Cancer of the lung I take the liberty of sending you this specimen, and request that when an accurate diagnosis is made you let me know the results. The largest piece is that of the lung and the smaller that from the jaw. The case will probably be reported at the meeting of the State Society to be held here shortly and I will see that you get a more complete history if you would like one. Let me also know the form of Sarcoma the smaller specimen.

I trust I am not imposing on your kindness too much and that I will be able to return the favor.

Very respectfully,
F[illegible] Meriwether

No comments: