Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Letter of the Day: May 9

Ft. Sanders, WY
May 9th 77

Dr. G.A. Otis, U.S.A.

Dear Dr.

I send to day this the Z.M. Department for the Museum a fine specimen of a Fish - believed to be a "salmon fontinalis". Should there be no fish in the museum please dispose of it to some of your friends at the Smithsonian.

In return for this unusually large specimen I beg to have a reply to the following queries -

(over)

in which several besides myself are interested

1. Is it a true "Salmon fontinalis"? If not please make the distinction?

2. Are there any specimens in the Smithsonian of greater size or weight.

I also invite attention to the fact that Bear Lake in Utah is a feeder of the Bear River + the latter empties into Great Salt Lake. The fish is therefore actually completely landlocked.

I will know soon whether it was caught in the river or lake - merely for sake of precision - I will notify you.

I will esteem it a favor if you will notify my brother of its arrival - his address is State Dept., Washington D.C.

With great regard
Very truly yours
B.A. Clements, U.S.A.


[Enclosed description]

Descriptive Memorandum of Specimen of Fish

The fish this day sent to the Army Museum was taken either in Bear River or Bear Lake Utah. I was shipped from Evanston U.P.R. Road in Laramie City Wyoming, where it was found on sale by me on May 7, 1877. Cleaned of its entrails + gills it weighed - before immersion in alcohol - exactly six pounds.

The color (before placed in alcohol) of the gill cores was a lake red - as if stained. Under the lower jaw a streak of a light brick red color: the spots were uniformly blank: the general color of a silvery grey, with deep red staining on the sides -

(over)

The weight of the entrails + gills is estimated at from 2 to 3 pounds.

B. A. Clements
Maj, U.S.A.

Fort Sanders WYS[?] [Wyoming]
May 9, 1877

No comments: