Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Resolved: The Story of Capt. Robert M. Young and His Return Home

As part of the next NMHM Docent Meeting and to coincide with the opening of the museum's newest exhibition, "RESOLVED: Forensic Identification of U.S. War Dead, the museum will host a special talk on Wednesday, July 23 at 11 a.m. If you are interested in attending, please call 202-782-2673.

"Resolved: The Story of Capt. Robert M. Young and His Return Home"

In the spring of 1970, a U.S. Army helicopter was hit by enemy fire and
forced to land on the border of Cambodia and South Vietnam. The soldiers
on the aircraft were captured and interred as prisoners of war. In 1973,
several of the soldiers were released while others remained
missing-in-action. Two of the soldiers were found to have died in the
camps. One of these soldiers, Capt. Robert M. Young, left behind a young
wife and three-year-old daughter.

Over 25 years later, Capt. Young's remains were positively identified by
the Central Identification Laboratory through several lines of evidence,
including an examination of anthropological remains and DNA analysis.
This family's story provides a real-life illustration of the process of
identification exhibited in "RESOLVED: Advances in Forensic
Identification of U.S. War Dead."

2 comments:

Robert said...

I wore a POW bracelet for the years I was in the Army and for abut two years after. I only removed it when safety concerns at work required it. I have always wondered and now I know Capt Young has made it home. I am saddened by his loss, greatful for his service and honored by his life.
My thought and prayers are for his family.
Thank you
Robert G.

RBS said...

I was Cpt Young's driver when he was CO of an ordnance company in the Central Highlands prior to his transfer to the 25th Division. I recently rediscovered some pictures of hi that I'd taken in 1970. I' d love to get these to his family if they're interested he was a great CO and good man.