Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Mike!

Anyone who's read the Annual Report for the Archives (raise your hand if you did; there's a prize for you) will know that 2009 marks Mike's 20th year at the museum. Today we had a mini celebration at the Collections meeting and caught Mike totally off guard. It was worth making those cakes from scratch (beat the butter for 3 minutes and 14 seconds, add 1/4 cup less 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time...) just to see the surprise on his face when he realized they were for him.

So, Mike, I won't say "And 20 more!!!" because I still have to work with you, but congratulations on the first 20 and hang in there for as long as you can.



P.S. That red thing on the cake is, as I said at the meeting, the closest thing Harris Teeter had to a superhero anything. It's a kind of nerf football with a copyright-violation Spiderman pattern to it.

5 comments:

Mike Rhode said...

Oh, I was totally surprised since I forgot about the years in the press of daily business, which is how I've managed to stay there for 20 years, I guess. I was quite touched though. Thanks!

Good cake too.

Unknown said...

Anyone who has known my brother for any length of time would surely recognize the copyright infringed spiderman toy. Wow, 20 years.

p.s. I've always known you were "touched"

C. Margery Kempe said...

Congratulations, Mike!

Jim Edmonson said...

Congrats, Mike,

The best museums and archives are those who have people that stay in place a looooooong time and become the embodiment of that institution's memory and identity.

My best regards,

Jim

Wim Lockefeer said...

That's nice, Mike, you prove to be a very dependable employee ;-)

I don't think I can remember ever having worked anywhere longer than 4 years. Oh well, maybe it's me...

cheers,
w