Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Letter of the Day: April 15 (part 2)

Curatorial Records: Numbered Correspondence 07453
Copy

Pensacola, Fla
April 15, 1904

Surgeon General USA
Washington DC

Sir

I have the honor to inform you that I have forwarded to you by this mail for the Army Medical Museum a specimen of intestinal parasite, unknown to me and those of my confreres to whom it has been shown. I would be greatly pleased if you will kindly have your experts give me its name, method of infection, and whatever information they may have concerning this parasite, and can conveniently give. I have examined a number of medical books without result.

The following is a history of the case:

Mrs X, white, age about 35, weight about 180lbs, believed herself pregnant for the past two or three months. Had enlarged abdomen and thought she felt life. Was examined by two physicians who could not find any sign of pregnancy. A few days ago she began to suffer with cramps and profuse diarrhoea and passed an intestinal parasite after which the symptoms began to gradually subside. From the sensation of passing this parasite she is under the impression that she passed others; but as the defecation took place at night, the fecal matter was disposed of before it could be examined.

Very respectfully
(signed) W.A.J. Pollock M.D.
Room 412 Thiesen Building

No comments: