Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Letter of the Day: February 22

18 Clinton St.
Brooklyn
Feb 22 1871

General –

One day last week I sent you, by Express, a Tumor weighing 41 ½ pounds. It was taken from the abdomen of a man, after death. I made the post mortem for Dr. Brown of this city who promised to send me a history of the case on the following day. The Dr. called at my office last evening and said that he had been so buys in his practice that he had found no time to write the history but promised to see to it and send it to me this morning.

I have not yet received it, but will without doubt receive it in a day or two, and will then forwarded it to you with post mortem appearances.

This morning Hiram B. Smith, late Private 9th Co. Ohio Sharper Shooters called on me. He was a patient of mine at Armory Squa5e hospital suffering from gunshot fracture of the middle third of left femur. He was wounded Aug 19, 1864on the Weldon Rail Road – admitted at Armory Square Hopt. Aug 28th 1864 – transferred to Detroit, Mich. April 20th, 1865 and discharged from service at that Hospital (Harper) Nov. 11th 1865.
CP 1533
I have had a photograph taken and will send you a copy with a brief history in a few days.

Very respectfully
Your Obedient Servant
Geo. K. Smith
Late AA Surg U.S.A.

To Surgeon Gen. U.S.A.
Washington D.C.

P.S. The address of Hiram B. Smith is Weston Wood Co., Ohio. GKS

No comments: