Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Letter of the Day: September 9

United States National Museum

Under Direction of

The Smithsonian Institution

Washington Sept. 9. 1886

 

Dear Sir:

 

I venture to request that you will lend me, for a few days, the mounted skeleton of Logenorhynchus acutus [aka Atlantic white-sided dolphin] in the Army Medical Museum. I have a paper on the genus Logenorhynchus in preparation and am desirous of comparing an authentic European specimen of the species referred to with others from our own Atlantic coast in this museum.

 

If you find it possible to grant my request, I will arrange to send a wagon for the specimen.

 

Very respectfully

 

Frederick W. True.

Curator of Mammals

 

Dr. J.S. Billings, U.S.A. +c

Director, U.S. Army Med. Museum.

Washington

 

Answered by Dr. Billings in person Sept 11. 86.

 

Prof True sent for No 2489. Sect. Comp Anatomy Sept 11, 1886, + the specimen was delivered to the messenger.

No comments: