Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Letter of the Day: April 26 - the Peabody Museum sends thanks

 

Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology

Harvard University

 

F.W. Putnam,

Curator of the Museum,

 

Cambridge, Mass, Apr 26 1876

 

My dear Dr. Otis

 

Many thanks for your kindness in sending me the negative which arrived today. I have sent it to Mr. Edwards without unpacking + shall have a proof from him at once. If it turns out all right would you like copies for your own use? If so I will have some sent you with the compl.[iments] of our museum as I shall have a number printed on large sheets for special distribution.

 

We shall greatly value the large photograph you propose sending as all we have now is one of the Cabinet rig which you sent in, which I framed + hung in the museum.

 

You will be pleased to know that we begin our new building at once, so I hop e in time to have a chance to arrange the museum as it should be. I shall be very much pleased to see you here + and you will kindly send me word when you are to be or in advance, for as I live in Salem + and not at the museum every day I often miss parties here unless they let me know when they are coing.

 

I congratulate you as arriving so near to the end of your editorial work on the big volume. It was a great undertaking + I fully know the time + attention required for such work. I hope to have some good photorelief figures of the California skulls to go in my report, and I shall be very thankful to you for the use of your measurements as you propose..

 

 

Faithfully yours,

F.W. Putnam

 

To Dr. G.A. Otis, U.S.A.

Curator Army Medical Museum

Washington, D.C.

No comments: