Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Letter of the day, April 1

I was tickled pink to find this reply to the doctor who sent his wax preparations to the Museum (letter published March 15) and who said it would break his heart if the liver were broken.

April 1, 1887.

Dear Doctor:

Your note of March 30th is received. I am very sorry to say that the preparation of the liver was smashed into powder. But as it had been delivered to Dr. Wortman I felt bound to pay for it, although it was not possible for me to certify that it had been received, and the only thing I could do was to pay for the lung. The risks of transportation of such specimens are evidently much greater than I had supposed, and I do not think I will try it again. Some day I hope we can make such preparations here. Dr. Wortman will write you explaining how it happened. He had a pleasant visit and acquired much valuable information. Accept my sincere thanks for the very courteous manner in which you received him. With best wishes believe me to be

Yours very sincerely
(Signed) John S. Billings.

Dwight Prof. Thomas
Harvard Medical School,
Boston, Mass.

P.S. The injection of the kidney has come to hand in perfect condition.

No comments: