Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Letter of the Day: April 7 - mosquito hunters!

 

Clara Ludlow was on the Museum staff for a decade, researching and naming mosquitoes coming in, including this one from the Philippines in the genus Neomelaniconion.

 

Entomological Society of Ontario

 

London, Ont., Canada April 7, 1905

 

My Dear Miss Ludlow,

 

I have received today yours of the 5th enclosing the P.O. order for five dollars, for which I beg to thank you very much. The extras will be ready in a day or two & then I shall get the printers. I do not at present know exactly what it will amount to, but no doubt there will be some balance towards the extension of your subscription.

 

One April Can. Ent. [Canadian Entomologist] as mailed yesterday (44 pages) . You will notice that I gave to your new mosquito the name of lineatopennis.  This deemed to express your meaning fully & to be euphonious also. I hope you will not object to it.

 

Yours very faithfully,

 

Charles B. Bethune

No comments: