Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Letter of the Day: December 21 [mystery diagnosis, part 3]

Fort Niobrara, Neb.
December 21st, 1896

Major Walter Reed
Surgeon U.S. Army
Curator Army Medical Museum
Washington, D.C.

Dear Doctor:

Your letter of the 9th of December in reference to slides, from a gonorrhoea case, which I had sent you was duly received. There has been considerable delay in getting other specimens as you directed as the party was away from fort. I send you by this mail slides + a specimen of morning urine to which I added a little chloroform - not having any formaline. he was directed to stop using a Sol I-2000Mn O4 for three days before attempting to spread the slides. He writes the discharge had decreased very much since I last saw him: so I am afraid the specimens sent are apt to be of little value.

The patient still denies exposure to specific contagion + declares discharge due to irritation by drink + cold and excitement of dancing + adds that at no time he did not know what he was doing.

Very respectfully yours,
P. C. Fauntleroy

No comments: