Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Letter of the Day: January 26 (RMS Jackson Collection)

Off. P. MG of E. Tenn

Knoxville Tenn.

Jan. 26/64

 

Respectfully referred to Dr. Jackson Medical Director of E. Tenn.

By order of Brig Genl Carter

Illegible

Illegible

 

(over)

~

Med. Dir. D. E. Tenn.

Knoxville Jan’y 26th 1864

 

Respectfully referred to Capt. Huntington A.G.M. Act. Chief Q.M. Dept. of the Ohio.

RMS Jackson

Surgeon USA.

Med. Director

E. Tenn.

~

Knoxville. Jany. 25th 64

Brig. Genl. Carter,

 

Sir

 

The following is the cost of my house that the U. States government has taken possession of on last Saturday, for an hospital

 

Via original cost      $ 750.00

My improvements 1650.00

                                     $2400.00

 

Dr. Genl.

My family is large + now houseless consisting of 6 persons. I am anxious for the Government to purchase it, and am willing to sell it for the above Amt. as my family will not live in it hereafter, when once occupied as a  Small Pox hospital.

 

I think I have been handled very roughly, for a true union man. I was ordered out, with short notice, without making any provision for my family, whatever.

 

My loyalty, I have and can prove by Messrs A. G. Jackson Col., Jno. Williams, S. Morrow, J. Baxter, +c. +c.

 

Genl. I appeal to you , to do something for me, as my self + family will have to suffer, unless there is something done for me very soon.

 

Resptly

 

Geo. W. Fagan.

 

Brig. Genl. S.P. Carter

K.ville

No comments: